14 August 2010

Leaps of Faith

Leaps of Faith….Is it really trusting God or is it throwing your hands up because you’ve run out of options?

My car is now listed for sale. I don’t have another one. OH. MY. BLOG! What am I thinking? I have a kid; my car is my security blanket; I feel in control when I have a car.

So now here I am, selling my car. Why? It’s expensive and not necessarily a requirement if we are staying in town. I have a lot of things I could use the money for now. Another reason that’s been tugging at me is that it’s a God thing. Right before we moved here my Subaru broke down and I bought my Maxima. In between cars I was praying and felt like I may be called to give up my car while in Ellensburg. The Maxima (my car currently listed) worked out really well. It got us around during our first scary winter in the burg, safely got us to our precious Sounders matches and many other important things. But now here I am again, needing to sell my car and re-prioritize the “things” in my life for the betterment of my family.

In the prioritizing process I wonder how many of our “leap of faith” decisions (moving to Ellensburg and leaving the only community my son has ever known, go back to school, leave my job of 2 years, ect) are actually of faith and not of a “throw my hands up and just go with the only option left or the one that sounds good”? How can you really tell? Prayer probably came to mind, but that to me is a bit of a gray area because without using the gift of discernment I think that messages get muddled or our own thoughts get in the way.

These past twelve months have had so many leaps of faith. Calling a certain person because I’ve hit a brick wall and hope they are willing to catch me. Moving! Starting school again. Leaving friendships that aren’t supportive or good for us. Taking a hard look at finances and willing to give up things that consume our time and thoughts. Learning how to be open and vulnerable without putting people through hoops to “earn” my trust.

I guess in comparison this past year has been much more of trusting God than throwing my hands up. As I look back and reflect on previous seasons I can see where I was definitely just trying different things and hoping they work. I have never been closer to God than I have been this year. (I laughed as I wrote that thinking I really need to get back to regular bible study) God has been so evident in pretty much every area of our lives. I am so grateful for that.

Here’s to living lives with leaps of faith instead of throwing your hands up and taking the “easy” or “good” option.